Thinking that today would be another boring screwed up day, I prepared myself with 2 rolls of mentos(es), 3 packets of preserved fruits and 4 packets of laxatives, so that I could run around excreting when times get really terribly boring.
But hey, things wasn't that bad today. I was attached to the asthma counseling room and the wound dressup room. During my time at the asthma room, it wasn't as hell-like compared to yesterday or the day before, cuz leona and Rudy were attached side by side with me. And we craped and craped till the cows flew home, mostly with Leona. To make time pass shorter, we went for the hypertension talk, where the two nurses were great with their lecture. And we were greeted with another breast cancer lecture, which also kindda shorten our boredom, since we wont be separated into rooms. It was about cancer, and breasts. I noe this makes me sound dumb, but it was terrifying, knowing that you can have lumps around your body. So girls, I plead for you all to have your mamograms early.
PLS!
So afternoon went off fine. And I wasted my money on the expensive laxatives. So after lunch I was back at the dressing room. NO, not to observe nurses dressing up, but to see how they clean and handle wounds. I think that was the best room compared to others. It was yucky and disgusting, as if it was videos from gory.com. But I hanged on, and continued looking at the diabetic's necrotic half amputated foot. His foot was literally "gnawed" to half. You can see the insides and all. And it's still wet and fresh. Though I was quite far away from the foot, I was nauseous, and I could faint anytime. And the nurse happily cleaned the wound with saline and other chemicals. And she didn't use gloves! She said it's ok not to use. Ugh~ She then asked the patientto lie down in prone position, so she could clean the sole. Mothers of all horrors, she called me to help her carry his foot. Which made me stare at the piece of rare steak so closely. Argh. But I had no choice. I could'nt turn back, cuz my ego went sky high that time.
"Uncle, Im gonna cut a bit of ur outer skin, so I could clean the inside.
Snip, snip, snip..
Azri, see this, its still wet inside, must clean it. See the white stretchy thing? Thats his tendon..
OUCH!
At this point of time, my hands were shaking uncontrollably. the nurse said he couldnt feel anything, cuz his foot was practically dead. To make matters worse, I think some evil spirits somehow blew some wind towards me, making me smell the pungent raw rotten leg of his. I wanted to vomit. I felt the lump in my throat. But I forced myself not to. And thank god I didnt, cuz if I did, his leg would look and smelt even worse, with my vomitus all over his foot, like thick caramel on top of pistacchio flavoured ice cream. Ugh..Im so traumatised I could still smell it until now. Oh, thats just my body odour. It was disgusting as hell, but its definitely not boring. And Im prepared to do just the same like the nurse did when I become an RN in the future.
That was my enriching third day of attachment..
Friday, June 30, 2006
#rd day
Xiaobao-ed by
panis
at
10:46 PM