Friday, December 31, 2010

I have known people who keep saying they want to quit nursing but at the end of the day they are still there toiling day after day doing the job that they dread. Sometimes it is that small special moment that makes days of torment go off just like that. Treating unreasonable patients and their choosy relatives is just one of the reasons why we hate what we do. You never know when you'll meet that special patient or even why he affects you so deeply, but these are the people that make you glad you chose to be a nurse.

Don Juan was a 69 year old gentleman with multiple health problems that he gotten throughout his life. He had diabetes, chronic renal failure and parkinsonism. He was admitted to the ICU with heart failure; prognosis was very poor; he had IA and PA catheters inserted with frequent medications for his parkinsonism and renal problems. As we all know prognosis was poor for him. His condition gradually deteriorated. Throughout his 27 days in the ward, I only nursed him once. Throughout his stay, he moved very little and said a few lines due to his delibitating disease.

When Don Juan woke up that morning, he was terrified and anxious about getting transferred to another hospital for another procedure which my hospital could not do. I held his hand and told him who I was. He felt better. I explained that he was okay, he just had to wait a litle while before transferring, but I would be there all the time to protect him and I would not let anything bad happen to him. He became less tachypneic, and his wife appreciated my reassuarance.It was 3 days before Christmas then, so I sang him a carol. He found it amusing that he could afford a smile despite his disabilities. I gave him enough comforting words and gentle care to keep him comfortable. Throughout the shift, I talked to him and reassured him again and again.When the time came for him to be transferred, I told him to stay calm and I asked him what are the things that I could do to make him feel better. He asked me in his horse voice, "your favourite song?" I answered, "My way by Sinatra," Before I knew it he was singing the song albeit slowly and heaving away, and we both sang the chorus together. I was touched that he would do that for me with all those physical problems that he had.

After I sent his to the othe hospital, he was lying down, smiling at me. He said I made his day and he thanked me profusely for what I did.


After passing report, I left the hospital. The last time I heard, Don Juan passed away a few days later. I teared a bit when the news reached me, but I think he would be in much better place somewhere. His imperfect singing together with his constant gratitude will always stay perfect in my heart.
And that is why I love this job.